Wednesday, November 14, 2007

I'm famous!

Just saw that my quote made the lead for Dice's analysis of the Bay Area IT tech market. I was surprised and pleased to see it... they had contacted me a few months ago for local information, but they hadn't told me that they'd actually be including my submission.

I'm actually a little embarrassed... my quote reveals my ignorance. I talked about how "J2ME" is the most requested mobile technology. Actually, it's now known as Java ME, and has been for over a year. You can tell I've been out of that game for a while. I suppose that's the downside to being accurately quoted.

The rest of the report is interesting as well. I'm really glad to see Dice giving statistic information in addition to the anecdotal stuff. The overall consensus seems to be that the Bay Area is continuing to see steady demand - not a return to the roaring days of the dot-com boom, but good growth nonetheless.

Oh, and in case anyone is curious - the "over a dozen interviews" are all more than two years in the past. I still use Dice to keep abreast of the market, but have been very fortunate in my work situation since coming out here. In a way, it's very ironic that they peg me as someone who knows their way around the valley, seeing as how recently I've arrived here.

Because I am shameless, I will close this post with the same quote that closes the report. I believe this to be completely true.

As the optimistic Chris King points out, there are always ways to find that next great gig. "If someone has an area of expertise, there is almost certainly a gathering of similar people in place who can help point them in the right direction," he says. "Make sure your skill set is polished and up to date. Attend conferences, read journals, browse technical articles and do whatever you can to keep abreast of the latest research so you will be able to intelligently discuss and select appropriate technologies." In Silicon Valley, you have to keep up if you want to get ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment