Saturday, March 18, 2006

Happy National Hangover Awareness Day!

I'm sitting in my office writing this post. Last night I got a call from Scott, our VP of Engineering, asking if I would be available to pitch in over the weekend. I eagerly accepted.

That sounds weird, but it does feel good, on a couple of fronts. First, I'm delighted that I've worked here for over six months without having a fire drill like this; I think that says a lot for this company's project management abilities and overall competence. (This is only the second Saturday, period, that I've worked here; the first was a purely voluntary effort to get caught up on some low-priority tasks that piled up when I was out of the office the prior week.) Compare this to my stretches at Cerner where weekends were mandatory for months at a time, and it's hard to feel sorry for myself.

I'm also glad that, if it had to happen, it happened this weekend. Last weekend I was back in Illinois for a cousin's wedding; the weekend before that my parents were visiting me here. This time, all I'm giving up is a planned hike in Coe State Park which can be easily moved to next week.

And it's nice to feel like I have a chance to stand up and be noticed. While I appreciate the non-panicky pace of development here, it's good to let management see that you can be counted on when the chips are down.

If I'm really lucky, Wayne will buy us lunch today.

One thing that does feel a little odd is how similar today feels to a normal work day. At Cerner, it actually felt kinda nice to show up to work in jeans and a T-shirt. Here, it's my uniform. I came to work 90 minutes later than usual but am still the first person here. Ah, well. I'm not complaining, it's just different.

I suppose I should actually start working on these bugs now. Hope you all have a wonderful Saturday!

No comments:

Post a Comment