Friday, April 28, 2006

I know you're in there! I can hear you caring!

Several people have asked for status updates, so I thought I'd put all the info up here. My specific injury is a partial fracture of the right scaphoid, which is a wrist bone under the thumb. The doctor put me in a short-arm fiberglass cast for four weeks. He warns that it may take as long as 10 weeks to heal, more if a disunion occurs (the bone breaks all the way through), but since the fracture isn't very deep he hopes it'll be done in four.

I haven't felt any pain since I first got my splint; the only downside is the frustration of dealing with the cast. I'm gradually getting better at managing life, partly by making adjustments (like wearing sandals instead of shoes) and partly by training myself to be left-handed. I'm definitely not at 100%, but am much better at managing tasks than I was at first. That said, don't expect a lot of blog updates over the next four weeks, or at least not the standard long-form ones.

There's a lot I want to hit when I get back to normal: Kafka on the Shore, V., the Cherry Blossom festival in San Francisco, the San Jose mayor's race, springtime in the Bay Area, On the Waterfront, and whatever happens in May. Sigh. It's going to be a while.

By the way, do any blog readers know of any free speech-to-text programs? Like electronic dictation? I figured this would be the perfect time to try that, but I can't find any free options online.

My overall feeling right now is one of slight frustration matched against great gratitude. I've been very thankful that the accident wasn't any worse, that I didn't wait too long for treatment, that I'm not in pain, and, especially, that I have health insurance. So far I've payed a total of $20 out of pocket for all my care, and even when I'm done it will have cost less than half as much to fix me as it will to fix my bike. Health care is one of those areas of glaring inequality in the US today, and I feel very fortunate to be someone who has it.

No comments:

Post a Comment